Saturday 7 May 2011

Why Scouting?

Where is the sense of adventure in sitting at home and doing the ordinary?
I think everyone has that need to go and explore the great outdoors!
It's all waiting to be discovered... One great way of getting the full experience is Scouting.
Scouts is where one learns things that one would never think they would end up knowing. Skills like- pioneering, first aid, orienteering, cooking, community service, camping, hiking and most importantly- how to have fun!
Sound foreign? It should sound intriguing! And all in good time I will showcase what its all about on this blog. Don't have the patience to find out? Good! Then you need to get to the nearest troop in your area and start the adventure.

Scouting is a worldwide movement, there are over 30 million members, both girls and boys.  It has undoubtedly become... their way of life. It certainly has become for me. The ultimate goal in one's Scouting career is to achieve their Springbok - the top award in Scouts.

The best age to start scouts would be around 12, but if you have the determination, you definitely can start later. After being invested in a troop, you work your way through sets of advancements. There are 5 advancements, the last being Springbok which needs to be completed before turning 18.

The Advancements: Pathfinder, Adventurer, First Class, Explorer and finally Springbok.

I am busy working on Explorer, and one of the requirements is to display and promote scouting, so I chose to do a blog. I am going to be spreading the site as far and wide as possible, so reading this now, I hope you're enjoying it! Over the next few months I'll be blogging about the going on's of my troop  and the type of activities we do. And thus hopefully recruit a few new scouts along the way!

Scouting is something one never regrets once you've started.
Scouts teaches you discipline, hard work, leadership and invaluable skills. It stays with you your whole life and what you've learnt never leaves you.

So thank you for joining me on my blogging journey, I hope you enjoy what's to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment