Thursday 2 June 2011

The Promise

On my Honour I promise that I will do my best;
To do my duty to God and my country;
To help other people at all times;
To obey the Scout Law.

A Scout's Pride is their "honour". When you make this promise when you get invested into your troop it means that you can be trusted and that people can depend on you. A Scout's character is their reputation.

Without the words "your best" the promise would be somewhat impossible to keep. If you can honestly say "I did my best to keep the promise, but could not", then you have succeeded.

As you grow through Scouting your understanding of your duty to God and your country will grow as well.
Having a good heart, being thankful, respecting your parents and living in accordance with your faith is how you should keep the promise in this respect.

In Scouts, helping others is very admirable. It is an aim that you try to do a good turn to someone everyday. You promise to help other people at all times, which means anyone in need, not just your friends.

When you say the promise, you also promise to obey the 10 Scout Laws. These practical rules should become you way of life and help you to grow up to be a worthy member of society who will always be there for your fellow people.

No comments:

Post a Comment